ON THE ISSUES
We have a crisis in illegal immigration. For far too long, the Federal Government has refused to do its job and has failed to secure our borders, costing our state billions of dollars and creating an issue of national security.
Sen. Charles Perry has been one of the state’s top leaders on this issue. In the Legislature he has:
• Authored legislation to put an end to "sanctuary cities" that house illegal immigrants here in Texas.
• Co-Authored and helped pass legislation to prevent illegal immigrants from fraudulently voting in our elections.
• Co-Authored legislation to repeal in-state tuition for illegal immigrants.
• Led the charge to increase security on the border and stop any attempts of government sanctioned amnesty for illegal immigrants.
As a state we do not tax too little, we spend too much. We must reduce the tax burden on Texas families and spend our state dollars more conservatively.
Sen. Charles Perry has consistently been a champion for fiscal responsibility. In the legislature he has:
• Authored legislation to cap state spending to population growth plus inflation and require zero-based budgeting.
• Stood strong against tax and fee increases and opposed our out-of-control property and business taxes.
• Authored legislation to require drug testing of people receiving government assistance.
• Authored legislation to end our state franchise tax that is choking small businesses.
• Opposed all efforts to expand Medicaid under Obamacare
• Rated “Tax-Payer Champion” from Texans for Fiscal Responsibility
• Rated “Fighter for Free Enterprise” from Texas Association of Business
Rep. Charles Perry is 100% pro-life and has repeatedly earned the endorsement of Texas Right to Life. In the legislature, he has:
• Received a 122% rating from Texas Right to Life for going above and beyond for the cause of the unborn.
• Co-Authored and helped pass legislation that prohibits abortions after 20 weeks.
• Co-Authored and help pass sonogram legislation to increase informed connect before abortions.
• Authored legislation to give patients control over end-of-life decisions
Second Amendment: As an avid hunter and CHL holder, Perry has been a fearless advocate of our unalienable right to bear arms. As your State Legislator, he has:
• Received an A-Rating and the endorsement of the National Rifle Association (NRA) and Texas State Rifle Association (TSRA).
• Co-Authored legislation to allow for open carry
• Co-Authored legislation to allow for students to carry concealed handguns at public universities
• Supported all Second Amendment legislation he has had the opportunity to vote for
Education: Our children are our state's greatest resource. We must ensure all children are able to obtain a quality education and graduate high school either college or vocation ready. In the legislature, he has:
• Fought hard to return local control to our classroom teachers.
• Helped return the Teach Retirement System to solubility
• Authored SB 13 which increases access to college dual enrollment courses in our high schools and increases the emphasis on workforce development and college readiness at a younger age
• Co-Authored HB 5 which puts an end to the one size fits all approach to public education and places greater emphasis on ensuring that if a child is not going to college they are work place ready
Rural Issues: As the cities continue to grow, rural Texas is losing seniority and power in the Texas Legislature. In the legislature, he has:
• As Chairman of the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Water, and Rural Development authored legislation on aquifer storage and recovery and protecting the privacy of private water well production.
• Voted for and helped pass the State Water Plan
• Protected our private property rights
• Championed agriculture and rural issues